Författare: KARLSSON, LENNART
Antal sidor: 616
Serie: Monografier, fristående
Beställningsinformation: Out of print
The primary material essentially consisting of church doors with ornamental, symbolic and apotropaic representations in wrought iron is accounted for in a catalogue comprising 536 items and illustrated by 1120 photos and drawings. The catalogue is supplemented with a reasoned exposition consisting of:
- a regional survey of Swedish ironwork,
- a comparison with ironwork from the rest of Europe,
- an iconographic chapter which examines the extent to which the position of the ironwork on a door has influenced the choice of motifs,
- an analysis of the legal aspects – particularly regarding right of asylum – of the ringhandle,
- an illustration of the importance of material and technique in the absolutely unique development of wrought-iron forms,
- a survey of the carpentry construction of ironed doors and, finally, a chapter on chronology.
The reasoned passages are illustrated by 380 photos and drawings.