Foto: Philip Håkanson
Herbert Rettig, PhD, a champion of cultural preservation, inherited the house at Villagatan 3 in Stockholm from his father, Hjalmar Rettig, and in 1954 he and his wife Ing-Marie bequeathed the house on Villagatan and Skånelaholm Estate, as well as a large holding of shares to the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities. Herbert Rettig died in 1963. This major donation became the Rettig Cultural Foundation, which is now managed by the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities.
The palatial residence was designed in a classicist style and erected in 1878–1879 by the architect brothers Axel and Hjalmar Kumlien, who played an active role in the planning and development of the area north of Humlegården.
The street name is a testimonial to the original name of the district, Villastaden (Villa Town). Villagatan 3 was the earliest departure from the basic idea in that it was the first multi-family dwelling. When it was completed, it was purchased by Anna Retzius, daughter of Lars Johan Hierta. In 1899 the property was bought by Hjalmar Rettig.
As of 1973 Rettig House is the home and visiting address of the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities.